Bike, Hike, and Paddle

****************************************************************************************************************************
From January of 1996 to October of 2008, this site was called "Chuck's Backpacking Bonanza" and was hosted on AOL until they ceased such hosting. Over the years, I expanded the site to include much more than only backpacking, so the name is now Bike, Hike, and Paddle. Enjoy my efforts!
******************************************************************************************************************************
--------------------THE INDEX IN THE SIDEBAR ON THE RIGHT WILL GET YOU STARTED--------------------
******************************************************************************************************************************

Sunday, January 10, 2016

20th Anniversary of this website!

Twenty years ago, on January 10, 1996, I began a website called Chuck's Backpacking Bonanza which documented with photos and words all of my backpacking adventures as well as links to other backpacking information and sources -- one of the first such sites on the World Wide Web.  It was hosted by AOL which at that time was one of the few gateways to the Internet for personal web pages. As the years progressed, my site became one of the main go-to places for such information and was included in most lists of outdoor recreational websites.

Later, as I added biking and paddling to my outdoor activities, I began adding those photos and information to my site and changed the name to Bike, Hike, and Paddle.

And this is what it contains now -- 500+ pages and thousands of photos:





Technology has really changed over these two decades. Uploads back then were via extremely slow telephone modems, and uploading photos was especially laborious and time consuming.  And the pages themselves would now look amateurish and antique. I wish I had taken some screen shots of the old pages, but that ability didn't even exist back then! It makes me wonder what improvements another two decades will bring?




No comments: